Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Page Turner: Day 7 of 40 Days

So, you want to read a Secret of the Day, do you? This one is slightly embarrassing, but since I know some of my readers have also partaken in this same activity, I will share it with all of you.

I am in the middle of reading the Twilight series. And I am enjoying it. I admit that I prefer to read the melodramatic and insecure rants of a teenager, who is in love with vampires and werewolfs, rather than every bit of current news regarding the reality that surrounds us.

When I read the news too often, as I have been lately, I start to get down. There are so many terrible and painful things happening in the world right now....I know I don't need to remind any of you about what they are. It is heartbreaking to watch and read of the struggles of so many around the world, to the dramatic extent that it has spread.

I count my blessings for all that I have, and wish there was something I could do from my small corner of the world to help. With my meditation as one example, I do what I can in small ways. And I do stay abreast of current affairs to a degree, as I feel that is important to do. But I try to not overstimulate my empathatic being with images and stories. I need balance. I need an escape from reality to stay sane and optimistic.

And this is where Twilight fits in. It is the perfect escape, though not uplifting or literarily impressive. The main character annoys me with her petty dramas, insecurities, and tolerance of rude behavior and obsessive coddling from men (ok...creatures...). The simple writing and too frequent typos distract me. But I have a hard time putting down the book. It gets my adrenaline pumping and my heartrate racing. It is a page turner. I often stay up until the wee hours of the night "just to finish this chapter" and then the next. It takes me away from those things in life I know are not healthy to dwell on.

I suppose that these are some of the markers of a well written story, it's ability to help you escape by bringing you into the mind and life of a fictional character. It may not be a poetic or deep writing style, it may not teach me new things or make me question important issues like some great works. But, it is engrossing. It is an interesting and compelling story. And I sooo hope the library has the next book in the series tomorrow!

But, again, I need to emphasize that I think balance is important in the information we take in, as it is in everything in life. There are some really really big things going on in the world right now. It is important that we pay attention and educate ourselves about what the truths are in the media and what are just opinions. Paying attention inevitably leads to an important reminder of how fragile our comfortable lives are.

Every day is a blessing.

Love well those around us, celebrate the goodness in our lives, live fully in the present moment, let go of the little worries and fears, enjoy life, and read compelling fiction.

No comments: