Sunday, March 20, 2011

Living Gratitude: Day 12 of 40 Days

You have probably noticed that I write a lot about having gratitude for the small things in life. I feel like I would like to explain to you why I focus on this so much.

I suppose that part of my reasons are related to why I started this blog in the first place, over a year ago. I was writing about the process of being alive in the moment, embracing the unknowns that come with living fully. Part of the mysteries of living are that we really have no idea what the future holds. We have absolutely no idea when it will be our turn, or the turns of our loved ones, to leave this world. We have no idea what tomorrow holds, good or bad. It is inevitable that with life comes pain and suffering, as well as joy and beauty. We are bound to go through periods that are hard. We just don't know when and how.

Because of this, and because of all of the suffering around the world, I feel like it is important to not take anything for granted, ever. I feel that it is important to intentionally count our blessings, not only when our lives are bright and filled with goodness, but also when the challenges are starting to roll in. It helps, finding things to be grateful for. It helps to ease the stress of challenges as we remember that there are still wonderful things surrounding us. And it reminds us that even the hard times will pass.

I have a little book that I made that I call my Gratitude Book. I go through periods where every day, at the end of the day, I sit down with my book, think back through my day, and write down at least 5 things I can be grateful for in my day. I do this on the wonderful days when it is easy to write this list. And I do this on the hard days when it takes some time and effort to find the little morsels of goodness in the day. But they ARE there, if we look close enough. They always are. Small things or big things, they are all important to acknowledge.

Today, I am grateful for:

* the long lasting relationships I have with family and friends...they enrich and inspire me!

* a life-partner who is loving, supportive and who encourages my growth!

* a fabulously comfortable bed that brings me restful deep sleep through the night!

* chocolate and coffee!

* a dear friend from Portland who is currently on her way to visit me for a couple of days! here comes some much needed girl-time!



Again, I ask you, what are you grateful for?

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm grateful for: the special family I have and for the wonderful people they have grown to be; the many special friends we have in our lives; the incredibly beautiful world we live in; flowers & music; cookies :-)